Released widely in the media, detox is a very popular subject. In this short article, we explain the benefits of a detox cure and give you some tips for success.
What is detox?
The term detox, from the verb “detoxify”, is often overused and wrongly associated with dieting. Less drastic than fasting, the detox is not intended to lose weight but to rid the body of accumulated waste. The concept is simple, it is about cleaning the body by opening the emunctories, exit doors of toxins.
The body has five major organs to eliminate waste from the body: the liver, intestines, kidneys, skin and lungs.
When the body is engorged, these organs are then overloaded, resulting in an overload that will affect their proper functioning. It is good to find a certain balance by eliminating all that is heavy and superfluous. For example, you can opt for a depurative treatment based on draining plants that will act on the emunctory organs.
When to opt for a detox cure?
Excesses of all kinds will have an impact on our body, both in terms of fatigue and as a metabolic waste accumulated by the liver. For a global depurative action, it is advisable to make a cure at each change of season, especially in autumn and spring.
Also, a cure is indicated in the cases of intoxication (food, smoking, alcoholic, environmental), in support of a hepatic insufficiency or during the removal of dental amalgams.
Protect the liver and stimulate its functioning
The first centre of detoxification, the liver metabolizes the food we eat and breaks it down while protecting the harmful effects of certain toxic components. Additionally, it is necessary to protect the integrity of the liver so that it can effectively perform its functions of synthesis, processing and storage.
Dietary supplements help maintain good metabolic function, increase levels of glutathione (the main antioxidant in the liver) and stimulate liver detoxification mechanisms.
The following compounds act in synergy for maximum efficiency:
- Microalgae like chlorella and spirulina protect the liver and eliminate toxins and heavy metals. Characterized by its chlorophyll content, chlorella is known for its ability to accelerate the cleaning of the intestines. Spirulina, fresh spirulina especially, is rich in polysaccharides and phycocyanins, which gives it powerful antiviral activities and stimulation of the immune system.
- Olive leaves contain oleuropein, which has a wide range of antioxidant actions, antibacterial and antiviral.
- Recognized as a fortifying, rosemary extract has the ability to protect the liver and stomach. It is also recommended in case of great fatigue. Flavonoids in rosemary are powerful antioxidants. They make it possible to neutralize the free radicals, sources of the oxidative stress which contributes to the appearance of certain pathologies.
- Finally, the root of the dandelion is also of interest because it has the particularity of stimulating the hepatic and biliary function. Naturally diuretic, dandelion root is rich in lactones, inulin and vitamins and minerals.
Effects of a cure on an organism
As in any process of detoxification, temporary phenomena may occur at the beginning of treatment (nausea, headache, slight rashes, …) depending on the “degree of fouling” of the body and the sensitivity of people. Therefore, it is generally advisable for sensitive or hyper-reactive people to start a detox at the minimum dose for 4-5 days before gradually increasing to the recommended dose using spirulina to detoxify and purify.
Foods to be favoured for a good detox
- During a period of detox, do not hesitate to eat products rich in fibre (detox with fresh spirulina juice, whole grains, legumes, fruits and vegetables) to help your intestines to regulate themselves.
- In general, focus on home-made dishes, fresh fruits, fresh spirulina and vegetables. At the same time, when it comes to animal protein and red meat, switch to a plant-based protein such as protein from fresh spirulina.
- Drinking a glass of lemon juice is a good way to start the day. Its diuretic properties stimulate kidney activity and help eliminate toxins. It also facilitates the digestion and hydration of the body especially when it is associated with hot water.
- If you can, remove (at least during the course of the detox period) coffee, alcohol and fruit juice containing concentrates for mineral water and freshly squeezed fruit juices.
A detoxification cure allows the body to do the cleaning by eliminating as much as possible the residues that tire and weaken the body (tobacco, alcohol, junk food etc.).
Clearly, the detox is good for the body but also for the morale. It can even become a way of life, a healthier one, thanks to a lifestyle that no longer encumber the metabolism of various excesses.